Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Need to Rest, Recognize and Appreciate Accomplishments and... taste the Salsa Verde

This past weekend I didn't do any weeding or working. I'm learning the value of incorporating "recovery" days. My week days are highly structured so on weekends, I do my best to deviate from that norm. 

On Saturday, Joe changed the wipers on my Jeep. It wasn't something I thought about doing and WOW, what a difference it has made in my vision. I think I'll keep him around! We grabbed groceries and went out for dinner at Pryce's favorite spot, Tempura.  




I took some time Sunday afternoon to do some journaling, set my schedule for the week and took inventory of my progress. It's easy for me to be in perpetual work and clearing mode. What is not easy is for me to rest, turn my brain off and just BE. Changing environments helps with that. I was feeling somewhat restless and pretty unmotivated. When that comes through, one of the remedies I apply is to move, even when I don't want to. I walked for an hour, Parker lifted weighs and we all shot hoops. It's been awhile since I've had a basketball in my mind. I'll just say both kids outshot me (not difficult), but they were also able to tell where my power spot was, back in the day (no #Uncle Rico stories, promise!)









When I walked back in our house, I had to smile. The kitchen was clean, neat and tidy. All I had to do was start making dinner... in the past, I would have had to clean up the kitchen before I could start cooking! Certainly one of the benefits of creating a less cluttered kitchen is the ease of making meals. (Thanks to this week's Creative Action Step, it was delicious!) 

Why is this significant? Because before, I would have skipped right over my previous actions and efforts and just gone with what I still had to do for the day, 1. make dinner 2. fold and put away laundry 3. get things ready for the week. I would have been hard on myself for not getting those things done earlier in the day (even though "resting" was beneficial!) I was not upset with myself.  On the contrary, taking some time to reflect and recognize what I've accomplished was an important realization. Yes, there's always more to do, but just for today, I was content to recognize what has been created, instituted and established...and then enjoy it.  

In the past when I've succeeded, I just keep working toward the next target. I'm learning to tune into what feels right for me/my body, I'm not adhering to a {rigid} schedule, but I am staying consistent with my targets. Instead of  powering through projects, checking them off and moving to the next target.I am pausing and taking time to see and enjoy what I am creating. I find it strange that this hasn't come naturally to me.


Weekly Weeding: This wasn't a huge weeding weekend, but I did find a few items that I haven't used. This was a fun hat, I wore it once. I did found a hat I like better, but I likely won't purchase it. After deleting things on a continual basis, I am very hesitant about shopping for anything other than consumables right now. 




I also let this dress go. I love the color and style. It was a deal too (I saved $95 dollars on this one!) I kept it because I thought I would have some fun event to wear it to. I've had fun invitations, but I never remembered to wear the dress. Out it goes. 




Creative Growth Steps: 



My growth steps this week was totally unexpected and very YUMMY! Joe mentioned something about picking up Salsa Verde, to which I replied that I had not tried it. Not really sure why or how I missed it, but for whatever reason, it never found me, until this weekend. We picked some up on Saturday night and I had my first taste, on an omelette! Oh.My.Goodness!!!!! DELICIOUS!!!! I had some on my enchiladas last night too. The jar was completely full and now it's 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty?)At any rate, I'm glad I was willing to try it. 

Sometimes growth steps are about reaching beyond ourselves, working, pushing and making things happen. Sometimes those steps arrive in the unexpected, ease-filled ways! I am wondering what other tastes and flavors are waiting for me to try? 












Creative Action Step: Try new things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Cup. Planners. 5:2 Weekly Review

Light Me Up: This week's inspiration is an adorable cup I snagged after we hiked Rocky Mountain National Park. The Aspen and Evergreen ...