Wednesday, February 21, 2018

"Being Busy" is No Excuse

In the past I've used the excuse of being "too busy" for a lot of things. It is true, I am a busy person and I have a very full schedule, but it isn't that way every day. There are fluctuations, rising and falling tides of events and obligations.

Previously, on any given day, my home would not have qualified as "organized, neat and tidy" it was..... lived in {for sure!} I would go through clutter clearing spurts when I could no longer stand the mess. It would stay that way for awhile and then... it would go back to the default state.

The default state is the state we are in when we haven't aligned and integrated a certain target. It's the place of stasis where there is little effort. It's a resting point. There's nothing wrong with a resting point, it's just that nothing changes.

If we want something to change, we have to get clear on what that is, set the target(s) and then take steps toward it. I'm not goal oriented because it seems too linear for me, but I like the idea of setting a target, practicing and then adjusting the aim until I "hit" the bullseye.

One of my targets last fall was having a clean, organized and functional home. I was tired of the constant mess and more tired of continually having to clean it up every couple of months. I would clear things out, but I would be resentful because I wasn't enjoying the day or spending intentional time with my loves ones. I was clearing clutter....again. I set the target for my home to become a contribution to my body and my family.

Setting that target required a lot of observation and focus. It also meant that I had to be accountable for my choices and to become more clear when making them. If I didn't want to come home to a disaster every night, then I needed to make some different choices, on a daily basis.

If you've read the blog and/or followed instagram, you may have seen/read some examples of this particular target! My counters have remained cleared off, closet is organized, floors are clean, bed is made, items are in their places. It's taken diligence to put things away when I come in the door, especially late at night. It's taken patience and persistence to keep questioning myself about what I am keeping and what I am letting go of.

Why I am I sharing this? Because I resisted being in a routine and a routine is exactly why I've been able to hit some significant targets. Being in a routine is not a limitation, the limitation was not taking control of my life, my environment, my food intake, my possessions and even my choices. I started observing how I was spending my time, the choices I was making and how I was utilizing my talents rather than my defaults. The results have reshaped how I am operating on a daily basis and redefining what I felt limitations were.

Taking control our environments, both inner and outer, is one of the most empowering choices we can make. Rather than spin our wheels or operate on our current default programs, taking steps toward our targets can gently move us out of and beyond habits and comfort zones. Most of us really don't want to see areas where we've dropped the ball and epically failed. But what if failing is not an option? What if we release that word and just see everything in the past as a choice...because it is. It may not have been the best choice, but it was a choice and the good news about that is we can always make a different choice or a NEW choice.

Rather than being stuck and stymied by past choices, we can look at those objectively and learn a great deal about our tendencies. We can more effectively change how we do things by being awake and present in the moment. "Interesting that I do this..... what other choices do I have? What would it take to do something different here?" Engaging in authentic observation, sans judgement, is like adding rocket fuel to our forward movement and positive changes. It becomes easy and enjoyable. Like pearls coming off of a necklace we can begin to see a lot of areas that have probably been operating on auto-pilot. We can take note, continue to observe, ask questions and make conscious choices that will shift our trajectories.

I was hesitant to follow a routine and stay in a schedule. In truth, I really don't have a set schedule. I do certain activities at the same time every day, but how I do them varies. For example, I don't always wash clothes on Monday, but when I do wash them, I make sure to dry/hand them and put them away as soon as possible. I don't always cook meals, but when I do, I clean up as I go and I set the kitchen straight before I go to bed. I don't always clean the bathroom, but when it gets grungy, no matter what day it is, I wipe the surfaces and freshen up the space. My home stays organized and functional. I keep on the watch for stray objects and things I no longer love, need or will use. I put them in a box and move them out when the opportunity arrives.

Those choices are paying off. I am seeing the results this week. I have something going on every night. That is not ideal and yet, that's how it came out. Rather than saying, "I can't change it, that's just how it is," I can ask "How can I shift my attitude to have this be more enjoyable?" I can also see that not every week is going to be like this, it's not going to be a pattern for me at all. Instead of "I just have to get through this," I can remind myself of how much I am accomplishing this week, what I am experiencing, what I can learn and what I can be grateful for. Most importantly, I recognize that I am FULLY FREE to experience the activities, rather than feel scattered because my home is a disaster. 

My home is by no means perfect. It likely isn't going to show up in a Country Living Magazine in this lifetime, but I've realized I operate much more efficiently when there are fewer items in my home and it is organized. I don't consider myself to be extremely environmentally sensitive, but I do know that I feel more present and focused. I am not spending large chunks of time sorting, organizing and decluttering. This is a stark contrast from walking into a space where the table is buried unde mail and papers, counters are covered and clothes, coats, and shoes are scattered about. I feels really GOOD to walk into a tidy space. Clearing out excess items and  streamlining my routine are two significant contributions in my life. 

This comes from someone who resisted a routine/schedule because it felt like such a damper to my free style way of spontaneous adventure. Letting go of unnecessary items and then following a more intuitive routine have helped me become more present and engaged in my life. I'm making shifts, changes and choices in other areas too, ones that I never thought I would even consider. This has brought through both curiosity and excitement. There are still plenty of areas and aspects of my life that are not yet congruent with my targets, but I have the confidence, motivation and insight to keep moving toward them. I no longer ask "when" I'm just keeping my eyes on the target.

We are all very busy and with being busy comes the tendency to be distracted. I know this because I've lived it. I will probably continue to have busy days, the difference has become how I utilize my time, talents and resources when things are a bit less chaotic. Being busy is a choice. I had a hard time allowing that viewpoint, but it is true. When we become aware of choices like that, we can truly create changes we never thought were possible. 

Weekly Weeding:
No physical items got weeded this week, I wasn't home long enough to do that! 

Mental Weeding: I'm pulling out the phrase, "I'm too busy to __________." I'm planting these new "seeds" 



  • looking ahead, creating a plan
  • daily check-in with targets
  • participating/ being fully engaged
  • taking time-outs when opportunity arises
  • recognizing rise and fall of schedule, tending to small tasks daily


Creative Growth Step:



Confession: I'm not much of a water drinker. I knew I need to be drinking more water but it's just boring and I just didn't crave it....I've been asking for creative ways to up my water intake. Here's what came through:

*Grabbed my old, beat up Nalgene water bottle {it survived the purge!} I'm pretty sure that it is 32 oz., although the markings are gone.  


*Added Amazing Grass: helps me get more vegetable intake.  I've have three different flavors in my cupboard so it wasn't something I had to buy, I just had to remember to USE it. 


*Added Dr. Berg's Electrolytes (great source of energy!) 


My target is to drink one bottle in the morning and another by evening. I start drinking water as soon as I get up. I have bulletproof coffee and then I go back to my water concoction. 


Disclaimer: I may not do the same thing tomorrow or the next day. I reserve the right to change my mind, thoughts and beliefs as often and necessary as I feel like. I truly enjoy sharing my words, thoughts, inspirations and experiences, but in no way will I promise to keep doing what I'm currently doing now. I am experiencing the benefits and challenge of consistency and when it stops working for me, I'll give it up and try something else. I avoid painting myself into any corners. As always it is my hope what comes through can be a wonderful contribution to your life and living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Cup. Planners. 5:2 Weekly Review

Light Me Up: This week's inspiration is an adorable cup I snagged after we hiked Rocky Mountain National Park. The Aspen and Evergreen ...