Friday, March 2, 2018

HAVING TO VERSUS CHOOSING TO

One of these words feels lighter than the other? Can you tell? When you are looking at a decision do you feel like you HAVE to go with a certain option? What if you still had the same option, only you CHOOSE it. There's empowerment in the second choice and within that space, you actually change the consciousness of your reality.

Some of us are stuck in a job that we may not love. We say we have to have the job to do x, y, z. We may actually need the job to pay bills, afford health care, make car payments, take care of our families or any other reasons. We use these needs to justify why we are at this job, in this relationship, living in this location, are this in this shape. We enclose ourselves in a reality of few possibilities, tightening the noose around our necks, slugging through the days, dreaming of something different. And nothing changes. We get stuck. There's not a lot of potential for something better to come in when we reside in the "HAVE TO" world.

In the CHOOSE TO world, we take accountability for our choices, actions and reactions. We create space when we acknowledge that we've made the choice to be where we are, however that is showing up. It's really hard to change something if we don't look at the choices that led us here in the first place. While the place we currently are may not be our ideal, if we can change the viewpoint from "this is where I have to be" to "this is where I choose to be...for now", we open the door for shifts and changes to come more easily. Choices expand and possibilities become more visible to us.

Restating and especially re-thinking how we look at our current situations can mean the difference between chained to our circumstances or being free to make choices.

Every person alive has challenges, but they are not limited by those challenges. In fact challenges can become vital stepping stones, pointing the way to effective life changes. My son is an excellent example of this. We didn't allow his health challenges to become an excuse or a disability. He was born with spherocytosis. When he was a sophomore, he was diagnosed with neurofibromytosis type II. He's had a plethora of challenges and surgeries. He is deaf in one ear and his vision is not the best. You wouldn't know what he's been through by looking at him.  Today he's a thriving, young man, in his first year of college with a job! {Way to go, Pake!} Your challenge may be something entirely different and yet it is doesn't have to be a limitation to the life you choose to live. You just have to make the choice of how you want to show up in your world.

How do we initiate change?

Are we willing to take an honest inventory of where we are right now?

What is working your life?

What isn't?

Acknowledge that all the choices you've made have gotten you where you are today.

Look at the list of what isn't working, what you don't like?
Brainstorm some possible action steps that you can take, today to make some shift. Keep in mind that these don't have to be huge steps, simple ones are best as they bring immediate results and will build your change muscles, plus it's fun and empowering to observe how it feels in your body/being to experience change in action.

Identify your energetic priorities:
What lights you up and makes you happy? What additional choices are there that will contribute to the life you want to live? (And if you don't know, ask for those choices to show up and KEEP asking!)

Be vigilant with your choices and action steps: 
Set boundaries for what you will and will not allow. Focus is required because it will keep you moving toward your target. Use sticky notes and/or phone reminders and place these in locations that you will see. Change these out from time to time as they need to be refreshed, our minds get too used to seeing these.

Be curious: We don't have to know how things will turn out, in fact it is better not to have any conclusions of the outcome. Reality often doesn't reflect how we think things should go. Leave some room for creative ideas, choices and the magic of the unknown. What if what you are asking for arrives in a different shape and is even BETTER than what you had in mind?!

YOU are the conscious, creative facilitator of your life! You assumed this position when you are born and you've inherited a majorly successfully company. YOU are the CEO here, so the choices and decisions you make will determine your life (which is your business!) How cool is that?! You didn't even have to interview for the position! Here are the keys, take them and start unlocking some doors.




What I'm weeding this week:
Digital items. UGH. A few months ago my emails totaled over 3000. I was not so good about reading them, and even worse at deleting them. I kept emails, like I kept a lot of my clutter,  for those "just in case" reasons. It took some time, but I utilized the folder options and created what I needed for future reference. I went through every single email, which was daunting, and necessary.

Earlier this week I created something I've never experienced before....an empty email inbox. This has NEVER happened before! Like my home, I am amazed at how quickly the space can fill in if I am not paying attention and setting the target of keep it cleared.  I have spent the last month unsubscribing to a lot of emails. What I am wondering is if I should select a day to go through them all and wipe it clean? Or if I should visit this daily, like I do with my home? I didn't enjoy the task and that is why I let emails pile up. Since erasing the 3000+ emails my target as been to keep my inbox downsized. I always admired people who can do this and do it consistently, funny I never saw myself as "one of those people" I still don't because it's early on but in time, perhaps that habit will become more solid? This does requires me to be vigilant, making a decision after I've read the email (delete or move to a folder.)  and be consistent. Rather than seeing this as a burden I am choosing to see this as a personal challenge, it is more enjoyable that way. I'm also seeing that my ability to make a decision in the moment is much stronger than it used to be and that feels good too.




In the event that I might become overly confident, I am reminded that I still have loads of things on my computer, documents and photos that need cleaned up at some point. {It really doesn't end, does it?! At least I'm not tripping over digital clutter.}




Creative Growth Step: 
Making the bed. I haven't always been consistent in this area, but I am learning the benefits. It doesn't take much time or effort, I simply pull up the covers, flatten out the creases and call it good. That said, leaving my bedroom in clean, clear order sets my tone for the day.




I've also cleared off the additional surfaces of a excessive items. Pryce insisted that I keep the Lego Dragon she made. I have a love note and a few other sentimental items.





I've cleared off the bureau and intentionally placed meaningful/useful items. Previously this was covered with books, pictures, journals, jewelry and other items that I didn't put away.





It feels good to walk in here. This room is not fancy, updated or new, but it is clean and clutter free. I used to have to navigate piles of clothes, shoes and bags, book. Tidying up happens in minutes, because clothes are in the closet, not strewn about or thrown on the floor in here. The best benefit is that I can be packed and ready for adventuring in about 10 minutes (or less!)

I am blessed with a large, walk in closet so I do not have drawers. I see the clothes I do have and this reminds me to either wear them or let them go.

Off season items (shirts, skirts, shorts and sandals) were put in a tote. When the weather is warmer, I'll do another sort and let go of anything that I haven't used. "I am CHOOSING to keep only the clothing/items that I really love, versus I HAVE to sort through this sh*t again!!!! See, I bet you can already tell the difference, can't you?

What are choosing today?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Cup. Planners. 5:2 Weekly Review

Light Me Up: This week's inspiration is an adorable cup I snagged after we hiked Rocky Mountain National Park. The Aspen and Evergreen ...