Monday, March 5, 2018

Vintage Style

 I am reminded from time to time how much I love vintage items. Oh how I adore old papers, typewriters, desks, lamps, books and wooden drawers. I have no idea why, but I do know those kind of things light me up. I wish there was a way to transport these items right to my home and use them every day. I can see myself sipping coffee and pounding out my ideas on this vintage type writer! I have no desire to go back in time, thank you very much. I appreciate the technology we have today, the ease and convenience of modern creations, but there is something deeply inviting when I step into these spaces.

We visited the Kregel Windmill Co. over the weekend. This is literally stepping back into time. While small, the building is as exactly as it was in 1939. The history of windmill production is very interesting but the most fascinating artifacts were in this office. Oh my goodness! It's the neatest room I've ever seen! I actually had a hard time walking away!










In my quest to downsize, I know that I wouldn't likely choose to purchase any of these items if that were an option. I don't scour antique markets like I used to. I do very little shopping these days. I did purchase a new blue skirt and a chartreuse sweater over the weekend. The sweater was a splurge at $11.00, the skirt was drastically more. It is buttery soft though. As soon as I saw it and felt it, I knew it was destined to be mine! I only wear what I absolutely love these days. I know I have room for it and I know that I can combine it with what I already have to create new outfits. That's the beauty of downsizing. If and when I do buy, there's a reason and a purpose. I've become aware of the difference between frivolous searching (when I am waiting or bored) and actually selecting something that contributes to my style.


What I'm weeding this week:
Since I brought in two new items, that means two old items are going out. Here is what I deselected:




I snagged this skirt on sale awhile back.  I picked it because of the colors. I haven't worn it and now I actually think its a bit too "busy" for my taste.



I got this item eight years ago. I've not worn it at all in the last few years.  At one point I was into gray. I had gray boots and gray oxfords. I let them both go and for whatever reason kept this. It's ready to find a new owner.

One of the aspects that I am learning is that downsizing isn't a one time action, it is a continual exercise that requires diligence and checking in. I would love for it it be a one and done, but that is not how it works.

Creative Growth Step:
Growth happens even when we are not consciously focused on it. While I'm sure there are projects and even new dreams that are forming, I'm feeling the invitation to take some time to contemplate, re-evaluate and flow into what I want to create in the next few months. This is an in-between space and sometimes it feels strange because I am target oriented and I feel better when I have a project to work on. It's not that I am sitting around with nothing to do (that never happens!) but I am in a place where I'm coasting a bit. March is a month where the newness of the year is starting to take root, but the "stalks" are just starting to make their ascension toward the sun; there is much growth ahead. Right now growth is more subjective and not nearly as visible.

I was looking over my bullet journal for February and I am pretty amazed at what I did accomplish. I never feel like I get that much done! My creative growth steps this week are to recognize my accomplishments in action, immerse myself within the completion phase and be OKAY with not knowing what's next!  I posted awhile ago that it's good to build in rest days. What I am also ready to do is identify when I am in the final stages of projects and allow myself the space to regroup, rather than feel like I have something to do and I'm not doing it. I'm choosing to be a better closer "coffee is for closers only."  {Insert laughing emoji}

There is a tendency to be looking ahead and while I do enjoy the present, I find that for me, the excitement lies in the future and what I am in the process of creating. When there's nothing on the board I feel like I walk around with a blank stare on my face and hands up in the air like an basketball player who got a bad call.... what?????? (I watched a Celtics game the other night, so this was an easy reference.) Things will shift, as they always do. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this "time out."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Cup. Planners. 5:2 Weekly Review

Light Me Up: This week's inspiration is an adorable cup I snagged after we hiked Rocky Mountain National Park. The Aspen and Evergreen ...