Friday, April 6, 2018

Flower candles. Garage Clearing. Water+Walking

I am going to confess something. Spring is not my favorite season. Winter is my least favorite.  I like fall. I love summer. That said, I have deep gratitude when the season of spring rolls around. I appreciate the warmer temperatures, more hours of light in the day, shoots of gorgeous green grass, thunderstorms, light breezes and being able to sit on my porch again and enjoy a hot mug of coffee. Things look dead, drab and blah right now. It's not my style at all.

There is a tangible difference in my energy and mood when I am warmer and I have more access to nature. I tend to hole up and hibernate in the colder times. In the Nine Star Ki system I study, this season is known as Three tree. It is the time of upward rising, rapid growth and expansion. It is the time/space/place in our world where we collectively feel the invitation to expand, blossom, stretch and grow. Pioneering efforts, trying new things and taking on areas of new study are all fostered in this season. The visual is that of leaves bursting out on branches. Ideas pop out, new life is tangible.

I have so many ideas popping, and yet I often don't implement them. I seem to have a continual flow of creative energies and ideas. I have the choice to keep them to myself or act on them and see where they go? It is never know to me how these small ideas might take root, blossom and grow, but it is my hope that words and ideas I share can contribute those who find their way to this blog.

My theme this year is Growth. While I may not consciously work with this every day, I do keep this word posted and present and I check in with it often. In conjunction with the theme of Growth I am dedicating the blog to sharing in the following three areas:

Lighten Up
Let It Go
Growth

Lighten Up the foundation of my success.  This includes the inspiration, the WHY, the possibility and light coming in. I'm feeling this now, especially after cold winter months. Things that "light me up" give me the motivation to try to new things, to explore, discover and create. The light is what helps us see beyond the current shadows. Even before the release happens and growth can take place, we have to a starting point, the SOURCE. I'll be sharing visual inspirations, via Instagram, that help to me to Lighten Up. 

Let It Go is the action that has to happen behind the scenes. Once inspiration, is received there's usually some letting go that naturally needs to happen to create space for more of what I DO want to experience. This is where I assess what's working and what is not working. It's the aspect of looking at data, gathering evidence, cultivating the ground and weeding what is taking up time and space in my life. It used to be the part that I most avoided. Now I see it as completely necessary and freeing. I let go of different things each day, everything from an old belief or habit that I've discovered running on auto-pilot, to a coffee mug that no longer lights me up. Continual release, on emotional, mental, and physical levels, are necessary for a healthy and productive lives. Think about the buildup and filth that would occur if we never took the trash out of our houses? Scary, right?! I believe the same holds true with emotional and mental trash. We have to be diligent about continually cleaning out our spaces. If we want to Grow we have to have the space/time to do so. We can't get more time/space, but we can clear those environments out and make room for what is supportive.

Growth is the invisible results of choices being put into action. Here we actively work with habit shifts, new ideas, seeing and using challenges to our advantages. There are cycles, seasons and rhythms of Growth. Sometimes it is very tangible to see. At other times the energy is inward and can go unnoticed for longer stretches. There are times of activity and movement and times of dormancy and stillness. Through it all, growth is continual. It is part of the time/space plane that we live on and even when we try to deny and resist it. The speed might vary, but GROWTH is a continual process.

This week:

Lighten Up: Once I weed something, it is usually gone for good. There are rare times when an item doesn't quite leave the space. It may be put in a box with the intention of donating, but for whatever reason it didn't make it to that destination. That is what happened with these cute candles. They were in a donate box and it only got as far as the garage. During the cleaning I discovered and brought these back in, with the intent to light them. I've had them for about 10 years and never once lit em up. I'm really craving floral themes and spring colors/symbols right now so I added them to my kitchen. I will often do my journal pages by candle light. 



 Let Go: 
The worst part about coming home is the unpacking. UGH. We we filled to the brim here. The jeep doesn't have a lot of room so anything beyond a couple of backpacks makes it look scrunched. This time though it was at capacity. Bringing items in and putting them away is daunting to me. What was right about this was leaving in plenty of time that we could actually do something constructive once we got home.





While it was very tempting to take a nap, thanks to the incessant barking of the dogs next door and Parker playing his guitar, silence + peace + rest was not possible. I asked what would be the best use of my time and found myself drawn to the garage. I wasn't planning on cleaning it out, but since I couldn't sleep, I announced that April was garage cleaning month and that we should all gather outside and commence to this great post holiday, family bonding activity. I'm sure you can imagine the sheer delight of my offspring! We cleaned up leaves, rearranged the rocks and brought the porch and flower beds back to life.  I was  amazed at the ease of the project once we got started. We pitched a lot of items. What is left needs to be disposed of or donated (old bikes, random golf clubs). The good deal is that when an opportunity arises for proper disposal, the items are ready to go. I shared with Parker that the benefit of an organized garage is that he has more room for the "Green Monster." He was certainly thrilled (ok, he wasn't excited in the least, but he did help, without complaining because the efforts are going to a very expensive trip to Greece/Rome in 2019.) I've had this item on my to-do list for MONTHS and I was tickled pink to get it done in about three hours! 

As a result of Operation Garage Reclamation I ended up with a nasty allergic reaction and head/sinus cold. I have been healthy all winter, even through the Influenza epidemic. I clean out the garage (thanks dust + mold) and BAM! I feel like total crap. Even with a plugged head, sore throat, water eyes, cough and general misery... I'm REALLY grateful for the opportunity, effort and energy to get the old junk cleared out!









 Grow: I've been sitting with April targets this month. I'm still working with them but this week's growth steps include water + walking. I have been much more conscious of my water intake, and for the most part, I don't do too bad. I could do better though and that is why I am bringing my these targets into focus. I could actually drink coffee nonstop, all day. I love it. I adore the taste and the smell and of course the caffeine boost is more than welcome. I quit drinking soda on the daily several years ago. I did discover La Croix this summer and I find that to fill my carbonation addiction. Water is where it's at though! I rotate between two 32oz water bottles. My target is to have one gone by noon and the other by 6. 
 

With the {hopefully} warmer temps coming soon {anytime now, c'mon, hurry up!} I am looking forward to walking outside. It's still dark and too chilly for me to walk in the mornings. My current growth step is to set clothes out the night before, get up, and hit the treadmill. My target is to hit this Monday through Friday with Saturday and Sunday being an added bonus. 

Another confession: it has been an effort to just move and take care of daily chores this week. Loading and unloading laundry and dishes feels like I'm running some sort of marathon. I am freaking wiped out. I have still been getting up early but with my lungs feeling tight and stressed, I haven't pushed the walking. I'm hoping with rest + water + Cold Snap, I can kick out whatever this brutal virus or allergy thing is. 

My growth step, when my body is ready to take it, is to prep my mornings before I go to sleep. Since waking up is a task for me, I've tried to make it easier by having my walking gear set out and ready. 





What Lights you up? What are you ready to Let Go of? What are you ready to Grow?

Being present, accountable and having conversations around hitting targets are important keys to experiencing success. I'd love to see what you are up to and I really would enjoy contributing to your LLG Hop on over to Instagram and share what Lights You Up, what you are Letting Go of  or what your steps to Growth look like right now! Feel free to tag me @robynreece15 and use the #LLGApril18.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Cup. Planners. 5:2 Weekly Review

Light Me Up: This week's inspiration is an adorable cup I snagged after we hiked Rocky Mountain National Park. The Aspen and Evergreen ...