Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Desert Calls




One of my favorite "hangouts on planet Earth is in Moab. There's something deeply mysterious, healing, sacred and special about that area. Maybe it is the fact that it's so unique and unlike any place that I've been to. It is HOT and therefore wild, untamed and not about to be controlled. It has a unique vibration that I can't even put into words. It's something to feel and embrace and once it's energies permeate your being, they embed themselves and there's no getting free. 

I make a pilgrimage to the arches whenever I am called.  It's a LONG drive but more than worth it. Earlier this month, I was guided to the words of one of my favorite books. Edward Abbey describes the area with great eloquence. His words are like poetry and I find myself longing to return as I read them. 

The kids will return to school very soon, so this week we will take a journey together to celebrate the culmination of summer and spend some much needed time together. I invited their input for the adventure. Where would you guys like to go? What do you want to do?" The answer, without any of my influence, was "Moab". 

I was silently turning kart-wheels! "Really?" I asked, "We've been there before. I thought maybe you guys would want to go explore a new place." "Nope, that's where we want to go."

I find this delightfully interesting. Was it the desert that called them, just like it's been whispering to me?  Who is doing the planning here anyway? Are we the ones that choose the adventure? Or, does the location and adventure choose us? 

Do you have a favorite place to return to? If so, please share in the comment section below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Cup. Planners. 5:2 Weekly Review

Light Me Up: This week's inspiration is an adorable cup I snagged after we hiked Rocky Mountain National Park. The Aspen and Evergreen ...